SGG COOL-LITE® SKN
SGG COOL-LITE is a solar control glass, which blocks up to 2/3 of heat by reflecting it to the outside. It can be for use in residential or commercial buildings alike, either for façades or overhead glazing. Due to the unique properties of the coatings, they are ideally suited to applications requiring annealed and toughened or heat-strengthened glass.
SGG COOL-LITE SKN is a solar control glass manufactured by depositing a coating of metallic oxides by magnetically enhanced cathodic sputtering under vacuum conditions onto clear or body-tinted glass. This coating gives the glass its solar control properties and its neutral appearance.
Offices and commercial buildings
• Industrial buildings
• Hotels and restaurants
• Schools and hospitals
SGG COOL-LITE can be installed in many glazing applications:
- - Curtain walling
- Exterior structural sealant glazing
- Exterior bolted glass assemblies
- Double-skin applications
- Cladding of external walls
- Overhead and atria glazing
The most appropriate glass is selected using 2 criteria:
• Solar control performance: relative to the amount of direct sunlight, the orientation of the facade and the area to be glazed, the specifier can select the best compromise between the light transmittance (LT) and the amount of solar energy entering the building (solar factor g). Overhead glazing should generally have a much lower light transmittance than facades.
• Appearance (when viewed from the exterior): the aesthetic appearance of the glass (colour, intensity, reflection) depends on 4 factors:
- Orientation of the building
- Surrounding environment
- Amount of direct sunlight
The final choice must be made after viewing samples of the proposed glass types in their intended location.
Please contact Saint-Gobain Glass UK for any help with project specifications including thermal stress, wind loading and containment.
- More environmentally-friendly cooling solution with less need for costly air-conditioning or blinds.
- Gently filters light to reduce uncomfortable glare from direct sun rays, whilst still allowing in plenty of natural light.
- Excellent thermal insulation to reduce the need for internal heating during colder months.
The following substrate glasses can be used for SGG COOL-LITE coated glass:
- SGG PLANILUX clear glass
- SGG DIAMANT extra clear glass
- SGG PARSOL body-tinted glass
• Using an extra clear glass emphasises the neutrality and transparency of high performance solar control glasses.
• Using a body-tinted base substrate will offer a vibrant reflected colour.
• • A neutral glass always has a slight greenish, bluish, or greyish residual reflected colour. The neutrality of the glass must be checked using a sample of the proposed glass in its intended location.
Please contact SAINT-GOBAIN GLASS for further details.
SGG COOL-LITE SKN: the performance of the most frequently used references is given in double-glazed units, combined with a SGG PLANILUX clear glass on the inner pane.
Processed Product Variations
The main function of SGG COOL-LITE is solar control, after processing it can be used in a double-glazed unit and combined with other Saint-Gobain Glass products to provide multifunctional glazing, such as SGG STADIP SILENCE for additional acoustic insulation.
• SGG COOL-LITE SKN must be edge-deleted.
• The coating is optimised for face 2 of a double-glazed unit.•.
• SGG COOL-LITE SKN coatings have integral thermal insulation properties, therefore a low-emissivity glass is not required on the inner pane,
Toughened glass, heat-strengthened glass, heat-soak test treatment
• SGG COOL-LITE SKN are available in “to be toughened versions” which is shown with the use of ‘II’ after the product code i.e. SGG COOL-LITE SKN 174 II. These products must be toughened or heat strenthened before installation to match with the appearance and aesthetics of the corresponding annealed SGG COOL-LITE SKNs. Please contact SAINT-GOBAIN GLASS for details
• Heat treatments do not alter either the colour or the performance of SGG COOL-LITE SKN coated glasses.
• When SGG COOL-LITE SKN glass has been toughened or heat-strengthened, it can no longer be cut, edgeworked or drilled. These processes must always be carried out before toughening or heat strengthening.
• SGG COOL-LITE SKN coatings can be curved, though the dimensions, curving radius, thickness and curving process can all have an impact on the glass. If you require curved SGG COOL-LITE SKNs please contact Saint-Gobain Glass UK.
• SGG COOL-LITE SKN glass can be laminated. The coating is located on face 4 of the laminated glass (on the outside of the 2nd sheet).
• It is not possible to laminate SGG COOL-LITE SKN with the coating in contact with the PVB currently.
Edgeworking and drilling
• SGG COOL-LITE SKN glass can only be edgeworked or drilled using machinery designed for low-emissivity coated glass.
SGG COOL-LITE SKN can not be enamelled currently.
• SGG COOL-LITE SKN coatings cannot be screen-printed.
Opacification for spandrel areas
• SGG COOL-LITE SKN: the coatings cannot be opacified. Spandrel areas can be created:
- either using opacified SGG COOL-LITE ST glass
- or using the same coating in double-glazed units specially designed for spandrel panels, with an opacified glass such as SGG EMALIT EVOLUTION enamelled glass on the inner pane
- or using another product in single glazing e.g. SGG EMALIT EVOLUTION
In facades, SGG COOL-LITE must be glazed with the coating on face 2 (facing towards the interior of the building).
• SGG COOL-LITE must be glazed in accordance with current national standards. The setting and location of the glass, the permitted deflection for the frames of insulated glass units and the dimensions of channels are not specific to SGG COOL-LITE glass.
• SGG COOL-LITE glass can be installed in exterior bolted glass assemblies.
• SGG COOL-LITE glass can be installed in exterior structural sealant glazing.
• SGG COOL-LITE SKN coatings are always edge-deleted and must be assembled into a double-glazed unit. As a result the appearance around the edge must be considered.
• Glass processors and installers must check that all mastics and sealants are compatible with the coating, both for assembly into double-glazing and for traditional installation or use in exterior structural sealant glazing.
• Like all coated glass, SGG COOL-LITE may distort reflected images to some extent, especially if it is toughened, installed into a double-glazed unit, channel-glazed, etc. The appearance of the glass may show some variations inherent to the product, depending on the distance and angle of observation and the ratio of internal and external lighting of the building.
• Likewise, as with all coated solar control glasses, slight variations in the reflected colour are considered to be normal.
• Avoid all contact with any harsh products (solvents, acids, alkalis, etc) during storage, transportation and installation, as this may cause damage to the opacifier.
• Openings should be made at the bottom of frames to allow the channels to drain. These openings must be created in such a way as to avoid any water entering. They must be checked regularly to ensure they are operating correctly.
• The glass must be channel-glazed on all 4 sides and calculated accordingly. For other systems ask our technical department for details.
• The edges of opacified SGG COOL-LITE glass must not be exposed to and be protected from adverse weather conditions (eg: using a metal profile).
• Corrosive materials or those which may give off corrosive fumes (acid, ammonia, cement water, acetic silicones, etc) may damage the opacifier. These must not be placed near the glass (if in any doubt, please contact SAINT-GOBAIN GLASS)
• Non-opacified glass must only be used after consultation with our technical department.
• Heat-strengthened or toughened glass must be positioned in front of a uniform background so that the structures they are covering do not show through.
• If the light transmittance of the glass is higher than 14%, an opacified glass must be used.
• The use of double-glazed glass units in opaque spandrel panels or in front of an opaque surface is only possible if it is permitted by UK regulations.
• In all cases, this use must comply with the technical rules concerning: the width of the cavity, thickness of the glass, toughening requirements etc. Please contact SAINT-GOBAIN GLASS for assistance.
Installation of pre-fabricated panels
• The frame in which the spandrel panel assembly is placed must be drained. In the case of a ventilated assembly, the frame must allow for ventilation of the spandrel panel.
• The various components of the spandrel panel assembly are supported on the same setting and location elements.
• The system for fixing the assembly must never cause any shear stress either in the assembly or in the seal bonding the glass onto the frame, either as a result of external stresses or as a result of the differential expansion of the components.
For further information, see the document entitled " SGG COOL-LITE, Instructions for use".
STANDARDS AND REGULATION
SGG COOL-LITE coated glass produced and processed in Saint-Gobain Glass factories and subsidiaries complies with the requirements of European standard BS EN1096.
• SGG COOL-LITE SKN complies with the requirements of class C of standard BS EN1096.
• Exterior structural sealant glazing: processors and installers must check the compatibility of sealants with the SGG COOL-LITE coating and their suitability for use in exterior structural sealant glazing in accordance with EOTA (European Organisation for Technical Approvals) ETAG002.